Thursday, October 6, 2016

Vitamix...Why You Need One Too!



The best money I’ve ever spent on a kitchen gadget was on my Vitamix.  I love it.  Like way more than is normal probably.  I put everything in it.  I used to strain my roasted pumpkin for pies but no more, just pack the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, ect. into the Vitamix, make sure the lid is on tight, and let it do it’s thing.  Smoothest, creamiest pies ever.  Want hot soup on a weeknight when you really don’t feel like cooking?  No cans here.  The Broccoli Cheddar is my favorite.  I buy the steam in bag frozen broccoli and shredded cheese and keep them on hand all winter.  Broccoli goes in the microwave to defrost while I get everything else out.  In less than 10 minutes you have hot soup.  The blade spins so fast it heats the soup.  And the container is all one piece.  You fill it part way with water, a drop of dish soap, and buzz it for a few seconds on high.  It’s like a mini self-contained dishwasher in there.  It breaks down almonds for homemade almond milk that doesn’t require straining.  It grinds homemade peanut or almond butter with ease.  


What I love most is whole juicing and making smoothies.  You can put an actual, whole apple in there and it’ll give you juice.  Pulpy juice, but juice none the less.  No waste.  All the skin, fruit, all the nutrition goes right into your food.  All the fiber and nutrients are broken down to a point that allows your body to utilize them the most effectively.  It handles the addition of flax and hemp seeds without a hitch, crushes ice like it’s nothing.  Breaks down spinach.  Everything turns into this smooth, sweet, yummy concoction that I can grab as I’m running out the door.  It’s faster than almost any other breakfast I could make.  And it helps me get some fruit and veggies in.  I’m terrible about sitting down to a real meal during the day; it’s something I’ve always struggled with.  But no matter where I am on the healthy eating wagon, on the wagon, off the wagon, laying on the ground beside the wagon, it doesn’t matter.  Because these drinks are so simple and delicious, they’re always on my menu.  It good fuel for my body but it doesn’t leave me feeling deprived.  I buy a lot of clean and ready spinach, frozen fruit and bananas.  You can seriously throw anything in there.   




This morning it was a combination of my own:  
1 banana
1 handful of red grapes
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
a handful of pineapple (fresh or frozen)
1 whole apple quartered
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of ice cubes
 
Thanks to the banana you don’t even taste the spinach.  The apple adds sweetness and fiber but also gives it a thick, silky texture.  You don’t need a Vitamix to try this recipe, just make sure the fruit is cut up enough for your blender.  Try it!  I’ll be posting more recipes soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment