Monday, October 10, 2016

And So It Begins....

“You have to walk before you can run.”  Well, that's what they say.  And they’re not wrong about that.  I’ve decided that this time around I’m going to work my way up to running by first building up my walking endurance.  I went out for a short walk during my morning break at work and it was great.  The weather was beautiful, it was quiet and peaceful, and I lost track of time.  I had to turn around and hurry back to work during my second half.  I’m using the Map My Run app which is great.  It measures time, distance and speed, my speed on the way back was just over 15 minutes per mile.  That puts my mind at ease a bit.  If I can keep that pace, improve it, the one hour I have to finish will be no problem.  Speed is something I stress about a lot, I'm terrified I'm going to be tripping across the finish line half an hour after everyone else.   I have to find some way to block out those memories of running the mile in school.  Knowing that the fastest person in my gym class lapped me twice.  Knowing that everyone else is watching and waiting for me to finish.  Even when I was young, even before I was fat.  I’ve just never been able run like everyone else. But now, I just really want to.  Even if I’m slow.  I'm also challenging myself to do squats, one for every day this month, today is the 10th so I did 10.  I'll probably start hating myself around the 18th but I need to build up my leg muscles.

My mom said to me the other day, "So, since when are you a runner."  I’ve always been that person, the one with 52 hobbies.  I want to try everything.  People think it’s because I can’t stick to anything but really it’s because I’m interested, or curious, or it’s just something I want to achieve.  Sometimes, like in the case of my 5K there’s a sense of doing what the old me would have thought impossible.  

It took me several years and failed attempts to teach myself to knit.  Now I love to make scarves.  I sewed my sleeve to the machine the first time I used a sewing machine.  It still doesn’t always cooperate or look pretty but I can sew now.  It may take me 100 pictures to get one good one but I have a pile of photography award ribbons.  It just takes me a while to get there sometimes.  But I usually do.

And it may be difficult but I’m going to run a 5K, I’m going to get that finishers metal.  This is the time I’m going to make it.  And I have 354 more days to work up to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment